Its name comes from the white marls which were extracted there to fertilize the Sologne soil. It was carried along the Sauldre canal which was built on that purpose at the time of Napoleon III according to an idea of Leonardo Da Vinci. He was then called « the Sologne saviour ». The canal was inaugurated in 1869 but abandonned in 1926 because it couldn’t compete with the railway and the chemical fertilizers. Nowadays, this 48 kilometers long canal still links Blancafort to Lamotte Beuvron in Loir-et-Cher. It is overhung by a XVth century castle which was built by the Boucard family on the very spot of a XIth century estate. In 1998, Blancafort was selected as the 1st central place of the Euro area.