Are you a fan of trips in uncharted grounds ? Then you will definitely use the GPX format which is one of the most used for route sharing. You will find on this page the best practices for downloading and reading a GPX file offered on the various hiking, horse riding and cycling routes on our website.
A GPX file, what is it ?
A GPX or “GPS Exchange” file is a file format that allows you to store the track of your route on your computer or smartphone. In other words, it allows the exchange of GPS coordinates by sharing them as a file, which can be imported into a GPS application. To read this format, you will need to download an application allowing it to be opened.
Once you have downloaded the app, all you need to do is import your GPX file stored in your device. Your phone will then display your position and allow you to follow your progress in real time against the track.
How to download a GPX file on smartphone?
Download the GPX Viewer app : free and easy to use. It allows you to import and read the GPX files directly on your smartphone.
- Go on the « Let’s move » page. Choose a type of hiking trail between our 3 themes : « on foot, on horseback, by bike »
- Choose your hiking trail. On the chosen page, click on the button that you will find on the grey banner situated at the top right of your screen (the icon represents a hiking trail with a starting point and an end point).
- Download the GPX file.
- Open the GPX Viewer app that you have downloaded beforehand. Click on the top left button of your screen (the icon represents a map). Then click on the « + » button on the top left of your screen, then « File » and select the file you have just downloaded. The route is displayed on the map.
You can watch the tutorial here.
Download the GPX Viewer app and many others available on iOS (Apple) : GPX apps.
Download GPX viewer for Android.
How to download a GPX file on PC ?
Google my maps : see your hiking trails with just a few clicks.
- Go on your search engine and add the following link in the URL bar : https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ and be sure to be connected to your Google account.
- Click on the top left button « + Add a map ».
- Click on the « import » button.
- Import your GPX file that you previously downloaded and dragged it into the window.
- The track is displayed on the map.
- To open the route of the gpx file:
- Open Google Maps on your computer.
- Click on the three horizontal lines in the upper left corner.
- Select « Your places » in the side menu.
- Go to the « Maps » tab to view all of your created or imported routes.
Sources : papergeek.fr
Published on 23/04/2021